Tuesday, June 17, 2014

What will you do with a moment or two?

It's easy to take care of those free, empty, in-between, too-tired-for-anything-else moments by opening the lid of my Pandora's Apple and chasing one rabbit trail after another, whittling down my email inbox, checking Facebook, reading an article or two, browsing recipes, updating my Etsy shop, skimming blogs, importing photos from my camera... I'm never "done" on my computer, and most things I do there require little creative energy or serious thought.

Most of these things are useful, and I don't think it's necessary or wise to give them all up, but if I keep the lid open for less time, I can still accomplish all that is important, and then what can I do with the time that is suddenly on my hands?

I can read -- right now, "Amazing Grace," a biography of William Wilberforce by Eric Metaxes. I'm inspired by the way his conversion to Christianity in his twenties completely reshaped his priorities and the way he spent his time. He thought it mattered how a Christian filled the hours in his day, and mourned the days he had wasted in parties, concerts, dinners, and idle sparring with his friends.

I can make music -- not only does it sharpen my mind and muscles to practice the mandolin, but I can be creative (a trait I received from my Maker) and I can use music to worship Him, on my own and with others.

I can write letters -- I can give someone the gift of taking time to nourish our relationship.

I can spend time in the Word and in prayer -- why is this not where I automatically turn with the in-between, discretionary moments of my day?

I can run -- this keeps my body healthy and also refreshes my mind, giving me time to take in the beauty of the day, pray over and release whatever is on my heart, fix my eyes on Jesus.

I can create -- I can sew or paint or dye scarves or make a card. Besides producing something that is often both beautiful and useful, creativity strengthens my mental abilities and satisfies and grows my soul.

I can look someone in the eye -- I can be present with others in the room, converse with them, ask a question or share an insight or just show that I am available. 

I am glad for the change of surrounding and schedule this summer that makes me newly aware of the time I've been given. I am faced with a clean slate upon which to etch fresh daily habits and routines. I still think my computer has its place. But right now I think I'll close the lid and spend some time reading my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment